Wednesday, March 7, 2018

I'm a Bad Cook

I'm a bad cook -- it's true. I often feel like it's not worth putting the time into something that is going to be eaten in 10-15 minutes. Having kids made it worse -- you could make the perfect huevos rancheros only to have it dismissed by a picky, or spice-sensitive child.

In contrast, my mom was a great cook, and I basically took it for granted. She wrote four cookbooks (Meatless Meals/Menus, Naturally Nutritious, Budget Saving Meals, and New Mother's Cookbook), and often tested the recipes on us.

My mom died in 2002. Just recently I wondered if it wouldn't be a nice tribute to her to make an effort to try to make the recipes from her books. I could work on my cooking ability while eating delicious food. And maybe I'd start a blog as a writing project. Seems like a good idea.

I thought I'd start with Meatless Meals which was reprinted as Meatless Menus. I've been a vegetarian on and off, though I'm not really right now. And I thought instead of picking and choosing, I would just slowly work through the whole cookbook from the beginning to the end, one recipe at a time. Starting with Appetizers. I guess we'll eat appetizers for awhile.

Things I thought I might do with each recipe -- give it a rating (which you should take as a rating of how I made the recipe, since I expect I'm not always doing everything right), take a picture of the finished product, give it a rating from my kids and wife, and give a memory from me (and maybe my brother) on whether or not we remember eating this as a child.

So, thanks for stopping by, I'll try to update this at least once a week. And let me know if you've tried any of the recipes at home too!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stymied by Samosas

So the next recipe stumped me and effectively made me abandon this project for awhile. It's SAMOSAS, which I love, but I was having a ps...