Wednesday, March 7, 2018

MOM'S HOT OLIVE CHEESE PUFFS





So from the title I can assume that this was a recipe from my grandmother. Part of the fun for me in looking through these cookbooks is that many of the recipes have a title that refers to a family friend or relative.

These were pretty easy to make, and I just used a fork to stir. However, I think there was supposed to be some mention of adding water to the dough, which I did, because otherwise it was just sort of a flaky pile of pastry.

I made some without olives and some with, just so I could get the kids to try them.



The results: 3 out of 5. Pretty good, but not necessarily interesting enough to make again, especially with elaeophobes (those that fear olives) in the house. Also the taste really depends on the cheese you use -- I used Tillamook sharp cheddar.

Kids rating: they each ate one, and didn't hate it. To be honest without olives the puffs are pretty same-y.

Wife rating: she doesn't like olives either, but seemed to think it at least qualified as a successfully made item.

Do I remember this from childhood? Hmm, vaguely. I'm not sure I was a big olive eater back then, so she may have made these without for me too.

I remember once giving a critique of something my mom made by saying "Well, it tasted like you made the recipe well, but it just wasn't something I wanted to eat." I thought it seemed like a fair thing to say . . .




1 comment:

  1. Hi!!! I have made these several times. We love them. Kroger sells a low sodium green olive. I think that helps. These freeze really well to heat before people come over.

    ReplyDelete

Stymied by Samosas

So the next recipe stumped me and effectively made me abandon this project for awhile. It's SAMOSAS, which I love, but I was having a ps...